CITRIX SUMMIT 2016
Earlier this month TheCloud9 attended Citrix Summit 2016, the company’s annual showcase event for partners, taking place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
We collected our Citrix gift and made our way to the Grand Garden Arena packed with almost 4000 partners and colleagues. The vibe was set early on, by an opening dance performance from the legendary Jabbawockeez.
This is a big year for Citrix after the announcement was made of the retirement of the company’s president and CEO Mark Templeton. Senior Vice President Carlos Sartorious took to the stage with a high energy session, discussing the Citrix vision for the channel and renewed focus on core products.
The session focused on 3 core priorities for 2016:
- Land New Customers
- Expand Citrix Footprint
- Partner for Success
This being the path to growth, laying down a simple and clear partner strategy for 2016. Placing more focus on partnership and the partner community
Other highlights from the summit included Citrix Workspace Cloud, Netscaler and two XenApp and XenDesktop releases.
Citrix Workspace Cloud
In the Keynote by Jesse Lipson, he showcased how the platform was being advanced, with updates on how Workspace Cloud is priced, discounted, and sold. Citrix announced they will decrease the annual subscription price for Virtual Apps and Desktops package, as well as a reduced price to Integrated Apps and Data Suite package. Volume discounting is also to be offered in 2016, adding even more appeal to large enterprises
Citrix announced NetScaler CPX a lightweight alternative for Cloud Providers. Made to fit in small-scale cloud applications and container-style deployments, the new CPX is a micro-form of NetScaler. It will help developers to develop applications with the enterprise grade ADC and load balancing functionality. Production launch is expected near the middle of the year.
XenApp and XenDesktop 7.7
Citrix XenApp 7.7 and XenDesktop 7.7 are now available for download, with no major changes, but a lot of little things, including:
- Comprehensive Skype for Business functionality within a virtual app or desktop
- Extended integration with the Microsoft Azure
- Enhanced image provisioning technology
- Simplified management across geographically dispersed deployments through zones
- Improved application management and monitoring
XenApp and XenDesktop 7.8
In addition to 7.7 releases Citrix also the upcoming releases of 7.8, which will be available in Q1 2016. The release will be feature rich incorporating everything from the 7.7 release. 7.8 will include:
- Simplifying app management by layering apps onto a master OS image with AppDisk
- Integrated AppDNA compatibility testing for applications layered with AppDisk
- Seamlessly manage Microsoft App-V packages from the Studio admin console
- Enhanced graphics performance for virtual desktops
- Higher scalability for innovative Framehawk technology
Being at the Summit gave us lots of opportunity to network and made us feel part of the great Citrix community.The event was finished off with a performance from the Goo Goo Dolls, with plenty of food and drink. See you next year at the Summit!